Jewish Student Union Hosts MHS’s First Yom HaShoah Event

MHS students engaging in open forum discussion at the May 7th event.
Courtesy of Wendy Baker

On the 27th day of the Hebrew month Nisan, Jews around the world observe Yom HaShoah, or Holocaust Remembrance Day. Yom HaShoah serves as a day of bereavement for the six million Jews who perished in the Holocaust. Originally signed into law in 1959 by the Knesset, or Israeli Parliament, the day typically includes a nation-wide moment of Silence in Israel and a memorial service held by the Knesset. 

JSU Presidents Annika Lee (’25), Hannah Mehler (’25), Bella Pianko (’25) and Emma Post (’25) engaging in open forum discussion. (Courtesy of Wendy Baker )

This year, Mamaroneck’s Jewish Student Union (JSU) gave students the chance to commemorate and reflect on this solemn day through a seminar style discussion held in the library classroom on May 6th. JSU Presidents Annika Lee (’25), Hannah Mehler (’25), Bella Pianko (’25), and Emma Post (’25) wanted to create a safe space for students of all backgrounds to come together and learn about and understand the significance behind this day. By providing a platform for open discussion, JSU aims to not only educate their classmates about the atrocities of the Holocaust, but also to promote empathy, tolerance, and solidarity within the MHS community. 

“It was really wonderful to see everyone come together in such a respectful manner to  talk about and learn such a significant part of history,” said Lee. “People had such interesting perspectives, questions and personal connections” the junior continued, reminiscing on the event. In facilitating these conversations, Lee and the other presidents hope to “honor the memory of those who were lost and ensure that the lessons history teaches are never forgotten.” As philosopher and writer George Santayana said: “those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it,” which Lee adds to, stating “as time progresses, the importance of reflection and acknowledgement becomes even more important.” 

Maya Huppert (’24) standing besides her original sculpture entitled ‘Remains of Jewish Souls.’ (Photo Courtesy of Wendy Baker)

Prior to the discussion, Maya Huppert (’24) presented her mesmerizing multimedia sculpture, entitled Remains of Jewish Souls, before generously donating it to the school. As a 3rd generation Holocaust survivor, Huppert felt compelled to create something that would speak to her familial experience and serve as a reminder of the Holocaust’s horrors. 

Huppert was inspired after reading Night, by survivor Elie Wiesel, in her sophomore year English class. She constructed a body to resemble the far too common feeling depicted in the autobiography: a survivor’s inability to recognize themselves in the mirror after being imprisoned in concentration camps. In order to do this, she “covered each individual body part in mirrors so that when someone walks around the memorial, they are looking at themselves in a fragmented and unfamiliar way.” The artist also included a quote from Wiesel on the body of the artwork about the reflectional phenomenon depicted in the sculpture. 

In addition to the mirrors, Huppert paid tribute to her great-grandmother, a survivor, by inscribing her birthday on the statue’s left arm, reminiscent of the prisoner numbers tattooed on Holocaust victims’ forearms. 

With Anti-Semitism on the rise around the globe, it is imperative to remember our world’s dark past and actively work towards creating a future free from hatred and prejudice.”

— Annika Lee ('25)

“The sculpture was really impactful,” said event attendee and JSU member Sophie Greenspan (’25). Greenspan continued, stating that “it was so interesting to hear everyone’s stories and connections. Even some of the teachers and Principal Cannavò shared.”

“With Anti-Semitism on the rise around the globe, it is imperative to remember our world’s dark past and actively work towards creating a future free from hatred and prejudice,” said Lee, discussing the importance of events such as this one. “We are building a community,” the junior expressed, “to honor the memory of the victims, support survivors, and build a more compassionate and inclusive society for future generations.”

Learn More About Mamaroneck's Jewish Student Union