Categories:

BOE Announces 2024-2025 School Budget Changes and New Trustees

Above, from left: BOE members Amy Nofal, Michele Metsch, Athena Maikish (Vice President), Ariana Cohen (President), Sally Cantwell (Secretary), Michael Davidson, and David Carlos (not pictured).
Photo courtesy of the Mamaroneck District website.

On May 21, 2024, a majority of voters approved the proposed school budget, elected Ariana Cohen, Michael Davidson and Sally Cantwell to serve as Board of Education (BOE) trustees, and passed a $28,025,000 Capital Bond for district building maintenance.

Although Cohen served as the board’s president last term, and Cantwell most recently served as a board trustee, the upcoming term will be Davidson’s first year on the BOE. The MHS community acknowledges that these newly elected (and re-elected) trustees will face many challenges, including the continued challenge posed by increased enrollment, which was a primary focus of this year’s election.

As implied by Davidson, surging enrollment in the Mamaroneck Union Free School District (MUFSD) has put a strain on resources amidst the district’s continued dedication to advancing students’ opportunities. Specifically, Davidson shared with the Globe that “10 years ago there were roughly 1,450 students at MHS, and next year, there are projected to be close to 1,800– a 25% increase.” Although Cohen reported to the Globe that “our high school has been growing steadily for several years,” this enrollment-induced resource strain has remained unresolved; Cantwell explains that enrollment growth “over the past few years [has led] to larger class sizes and reduced access to preferred electives and classes.” Cantwell, Cohen and David- son all point to heightened enrollment as the most pressing challenge currently facing MHS, demonstrating that the BOE will prioritize this issue in the upcoming term.

The recently proposed budget– which 87.2% of voters supported– was passed with relatively little opposition, according to a Mamaroneck Schools press release, serving as a first step to address Mamaroneck’s growing student body. Cohen explains that “it will take several budgets to solve… [the challenge posed by increased enrollment],” although the recent budget will help. According to Cantwell, the new budget, proposed by new Superintendent Dr. Charles Sampson, “represents a budget growth of $3,686,419–which is a 2.37% increase over last year’s budget–and will create a 2.59% increase in tax levy (education- centered tax), which is under the state cap tax allowable.”

In comparison to other towns, Mamaroneck’s budget increase was relatively modest, as a number of nearby districts surpassed New York State’s budget increase cap. Overall, Davidson expects the budget to help combat enrollment issues by “[making] a number of new investments to help implement [the] strategic framework” that Dr. Sampson and Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction Dr. Moore are currently developing. Specifically, Cantwell notes that the budget will help to address increased enrollment “by ensuring proper staffing for programs, particularly within the Co-Lab, and expanding district-wide technology support to manage the growing technological infrastructure.” She also says that Sampson’s strategic framework will “prioritize strategic investment in upcoming budget cycles [which] will also ensure that our district remains an attractive workplace for our outstanding educators.”

Beyond the budget increase and its potential to gradually resolve the strains placed on MHS by increased enrollment, the new school board trustees hope to preserve the positives of MHS during their terms.

Cohen is proud of the fact that “our high school is an incredible place filled with a profoundly talented faculty, and I believe that creates an environment of excellence for our students.” She adds, “I love that whether you are passionate about culinary or STEM or the arts that there are avenues for students to pursue around their interest areas.” Building upon this admiration for the wide range of opportunities available to MHS students, Cohen hopes to “offer both additional rigorous academic opportunities for students pursuing a college track, as well as more career pathways for students that want to pursue careers post MHS,” amidst the recent growth in the student body.

Cantwell is particularly impressed by MHS’s “wide range of academic offerings, including AP and honors classes, numerous electives that allow students to explore new interests such as culinary or STEM and comprehensive special education support for those who need it.” She says that she aims to create a “sense of belonging” at MHS, “[empower] teachers” and collaborate “with district staff, parents and external organizations to create a comprehensive support system for our students” to “[address] the growing concerns of student mental health.” Davidson similarly emphasizes that his “key objective is that MHS is able to offer every student the opportunity to reach their full potential and pursue their post-high school dreams, whatever they may be.” He says that in order to support this goal, the community must continue to support “talented teachers,” “strong core curriculum” and a “diverse elective offering.” Davidson claims that MHS is “unlike any other school I’ve ever seen–” highlighting how MHS’s academics, performing arts, athletics, clubs, service and OCRA/ OSR programs set the school apart.

Regardless of how MHS students and community members view voters’ approval of the proposed 2024-2025 school budget and the outcome of the school board election, the next three years are sure to see many challenges and changes that the budget and BOE will have to address. Community members will have to stay tuned to see where the future will head!