Categories:

MHS Students Drive Political Change in Heated Democratic Primary

Many MHS students are involved in the June 2024 District-16 congressional primary.
MHS students and other local volunteers with George Latimer at the Mamaroneck train station.
Hannah Mehler

Mamaroneck High School (MHS) has seen an unprecedented level of political engagement among its students this election season. From attending rallies to volunteering for campaigns, students are actively participating in the democratic process and making their voices heard.

A specific focus of many students is the heated democratic primary taking place in their own backyard. On June 25th, incumbent Jamaal Bowman faces challenger George Latimer in the Democratic Primary for Congress’s 16th Congressional district. In a safely Democratic district, the winner of this race is all but assured to win the November election.

Specifically, George Latimer’s campaign has garnered significant support among students, with Tyler Prozes (’25) taking a lead in directing the youth interns. Prozes participates in the Original Civic Research and Action (OCRA) program at the highschool. Due to this experience, Prozes came into the campaign with a previous knowledge of the functions of local government. Prozes’s OCRA involvement further provided him with various connections that helped him kickstart his political journey. He also has his own political aspirations which led him to run his own victorious campaign for MHS Senior Class President this year.

As soon as Latimer announced his campaign, Prozes began searching for a way to get involved. He believes students should become more civically engaged, stating that “they can make lasting connections and understand the inner workings of a campaign, teaching them lessons they will carry with them their whole lives.”

Similarly to Prozes, Class of 2023 graduate Marion Karp has also become extremely involved in the Latimer campaign, taking on a role as Field Organizer while on her summer break from Cornell University. As a fellow OCRA alumni, Karp “completely credits Mr. Liberti for making her see politics as an accessible career,” and goes on to say that OCRA was “a great segue into politics as it prepared me for the professional world, as well as piqued my interest [in politics].”

As the youngest Field Director on the campaign, Karp believes that all MHS students should follow the “self-starter mindset” that she gained from the OCRA program, using their voices to create positive change in their communities.

As one of the campaign’s most involved interns, Jaheim Bent (’25) emphasizes the value of this experience, sharing that “while volunteering on…Latimer’s campaign, I’ve had the privilege of meeting hundreds of people, specifically through canvassing. I was able to engage in discussions not only about his politics but the state of the country as a whole and the importance of the youth engaging in their community.” Bent is not alone in the idea of the importance of youth involvement, with studies from the ACE Project showing that it is essential that young people are engaged in formal political processes and have a say in formulating the future of politics. Canvassing, one of the most crucial parts of any campaign– when one goes door-to-door speak- ing with residents and speaking on behalf of a certain cause or candidate–has become a focal point of advocacy for the interns, giving them direct influence on the outcome of the election. Using popular platforms such as the app MiniVan, students are able to have valuable experiences with members of their communities, learning and sharing through discourse. Through this hands-on experience, students are not only promoting their candidate but also learning essential skills in communication, empathy, and community engagement.

Another way students are getting involved is through the process of Phone Banking–the process of calling registered voters throughout the district, encouraging them to get out and vote, and discussing the candidates and policies that they lobby for.

As the election draws close, the MHS community eagerly anticipates the results of the primary, knowing that their engagement has played a pivotal role in driving political change. Remember to vote on Tuesday June 25th and carry out your civic duties!