Categories:

Mamaroneck Students Pursue Arts In College

One of the many artworks of senior art student Moira Ford.
PHOTO COURTESY OF MOIRA FORD

MHS has a vast arts program, with classes covering topics from ceramics to filmmaking. Many gifted seniors will continue their refined artistry in college, taking with them their talent and creativity to wherever they may go. With summer just around the corner, here is a highlight commemorating graduating seniors who are pursuing art as they continue to the next milestone in their lives.

MHS Info anchor Gretchen Barnard (‘24) has loved movies throughout her life. This started when she made iMovies with her relatives during her childhood. Throughout her high school career, she has taken the elective video course in all four years. Now she has even directed the senior film, “I Hate Scarlett Lynch” which she regards as one of her most memorable experiences in MHS. With Ms. Elmo being her guide, she has decided to take her love of film to Syracuse University because of their outstanding film program. Gretchen expressed that she is “excited to express my creativity, and work with new people.”

Throughout high school, Domenick Bierman (‘24) immersed himself in the Performing Arts Curriculum Experience (PACE) at Mamaroneck and participated in the musical each year. His passion for the arts began at age eight and culminated in a standout performance as Jack Kelly in “Newsies.” Looking ahead to his college career at SUNY Cortland, he is excited to “meet new people and learn more about what [he] loves.” One of his proudest achievements is his album “My Own Therapist,” which he created over the span of six months with his music teacher, Mr. Derby, in the PACE recording studio.

Senior Zachary Ivler (‘24) took various arts courses, including Photo 1, Photo 2, advanced photo, and AP 2-D Art and Design. His passion for photography began at age nine with an underwater camera, leading to projects capturing wildlife and school sports, and evolving into abstract themes. He enjoys exhibiting at One River Art School, photographing notable figures like the new superintendent Dr. Samson, and being mentored by teachers like Ms. Griffin and Ms. Bettencourt in tools like Lightroom and Photoshop. Excited about studying communications at UMass Amherst, he anticipates joining the Photography Club and engaging with new opportunities. His proudest achievement is his AP project, a culmination of his artistic growth and experiences at Mamaroneck High School.

Moira Ford (‘24) took Art Foundation in her freshman year and AP drawing and painting in her senior year. She has only started her acrylic painting journey recently, but with her colorful displays and expressive angles, she has mastered the frustrating medium with ease, leading to her vibrant self portrait becoming the face of the fall art show, Transcend. The art shows are the most memorable moments in her high school experience. Moira exclaims, “I’ve always loved the art shows that MHS does. I find that as students we often don’t get to see what the artists of MHS are creating, so I find it really neat that the art show brings fine art, photography, clay, etc. all together in one place for everyone to see.” She also admires the fact that the art show brings together the many artistic programs at MHS, including fine art, photography, and clay. With Ms. Shoffiett being both her biggest supporter and critic, she states, “I really appreciate her critiques and approach to art. I feel like she’s helped me a lot in understanding myself as an artist and how to expand my horizons.” When asked which was her most outstanding work, she expresses, “I would say any of the pieces I’ve made this year! Surprisingly, I never really did realistic paintings, let alone paintings, before this year. Every piece I made was a learning experience, and I’m proud of how far I’ve been able to come through the course of the year!” Excited about going to college, she is looking forward to meeting other artists and continuing developing her creativity at Williams College next year.

At Mamaroneck High School, Carlo Ostuni (‘24) was actively involved in the arts, participating in the MHS Concert Band, Jazz Band, MPR, symphonic orchestra, pit orchestra, and playing guitar and saxophone in Soundscapes. His passion for music began at a young age, influenced by his parents who appreciated music and enrolled him in guitar lessons. Carlo shared, “In high school, I picked up the saxophone, which was instrumental in my involvement in the school’s music programs.” His most memorable experience was a trip to New Orleans with the Jazz Band, where he “gained a deeper understanding of the music and bonded with his bandmates.” Carlo credits Mr. Hooker as his most influential mentor, saying, “He really deepened my love for music and helped with the practical parts of being a musician.” As he heads to college, Carlo looks forward to dedicating more time to his music, practicing, and playing live gigs. He is particularly proud of forming a band with his friends and building a strong, supportive community.

Eli Prager (‘24) delved deep into the world of video production during his time at MHS. His passion for movies blossomed into a keen interest in filmmaking. He applied the skills he learned in Video class to become a producer on MHS Info. Juggling the demands of weekly video production, he found a sense of purpose and excitement in the projects, especially in his segment “Between Two Fans.” Under the guidance of Mrs. Elmo, he honed his skills in cinematography, editing, and screenwriting. Looking forward to next year, Eli is eager to expand his horizons at Chapman University. As we say goodbye to these seniors who are embarking on their journeys to pursue the arts in college, we celebrate not just their achievements but also their unwavering dedication and, of course, passion. As they step into the next chapter of their lives, they carry with them an abundance of experiences and knowledge, prepared to make meaningful contributions to the world of arts. and inspire others along the way.