Categories:

The Past Four Years In The Music Department

Mamaroneck High School Music Department has nurtured these students throughout their time at MHS.
This year’s graduating seniors from the Music Department in concert.
Gina Intravaia

After all of the music department’s hard work these past four years, it is unfortunately time to say goodbye to the seniors. The seniors in the music program at MHS have not had a smooth high school experience, considering the effects of COVID-19 on in-person learning and musical opportunities. However, this has not stopped them from spreading the art of music around the school.

The seniors have participated in several events over the past four years. Some of these events include The Children’s Concert, a themed concert for the children of the district; the musicals Chicago, Footloose, and, most recently, Newsies; NYSSMA majors, a competition that the orchestra participated in and received the highest grade; the Jazz Festivals that the Jazz band competed in; and finally all-state, a symphony orchestra of some of the most talented musicians.

The first annual Children’s Concert took place this past year on April 6th. The Music Department performed songs from Disney movies, allowing the seniors to connect with younger musicians and families. Vice President of Tri M Music Society, Sophia Intravaia (‘24) states, “The children’s concert is about making kids excited and a way for them to get involved in music. If they do, they can have an outlet to be confident and help themselves. It’s more than just the instrument, it’s the mindset.” The children’s concert was a huge success and will continue to be an annual event put on by the music department with different themes and activities. Many of the students who participated in the children’s concert also had the opportunity last year to go on a trip to New Orleans, which was the first trip since before COVID-19 that the music department could go on.

In New Orleans, the band and choir were able to perform in multiple locations including cafes, a boat deck and more. They were also given the opportunity to take classes at Loyola University. Saxophone player, Carlo Ostuni (’24), expresses how important the trip was for his musical career, as it allowed him to put everything he learned into perspective and bring our knowledge of the music into a “bigger scope.” Furthermore, it helped to grow “his love for music” and form a “community of friends who really mean a lot to me and have helped me get through high school.”

The Jazz Band this past year has competed in festivals and many of the seniors have received awards. For example, Ostuni received an award for Jazz. Seb Gold (’24) and Finnegan Atkins (’24) received awards for classical music. The jazz band as a whole received the best saxophone section and best trumpet section at the Ellington Festival. Not only has the Jazz band received awards but it has been able to bring groups of young musicians together so they could create music outside of school.

In addition to the band department, the percussionist group “The Force” has left its mark at MHS, often seen performing at popular MHS events. John Barreto (’24), graduating Force member, says, “The force was able to do a lot in the four years I was there. Keeping COVID-19 in mind, we were able to learn a song that previously wasn’t possible, called ‘Vette.’ We were also able to get tighter as a unit and play better year after year and it was very special to be a part of.” There is no doubt that the Force will continue to grow stronger together and continue to play challenging pieces.

The senior class has left a lasting legacy, showing that music creates unbreakable bonds and unforgettable memories. The class of ’24 has proven that music is more than just a class.