Categories:

Beyond Boys: Girls’ Flag Football Comes to MHS

Will it be a varsity sport next spring?
Ms. Barnard, Ms. Gajda, and Coach Vitti lead the Girls Football team in practice.
Riley Schapiro

Over the past few years, Girl’s Flag Football has become increasingly popular throughout New York, with approximately 48 high schools welcoming the sport into their athletic programs in 2022. The introduction of Flag Football in nearby schools has persuaded the Mamaroneck High School athletic program to attempt to launch varsity flag football in the Spring 2025 season. It is anticipated that an official decision by the MHS Athletic Department will be made by next year. Until then, the team will operate as a club sport. This format allows the team to meet and begin honing their skills without the pressure of competition.

The all-female group meets once or twice weekly during lunch to discuss plays and strategy in addition to holding after school practices. Thus far, the club has received positive feedback and engagement from over 100 students. Coaches Anthony Vitti, Erin Gajda, and Kristen Barnard are excited to begin the program, as it has been in the works for quite some time. “We hope that the sport will be official next spring. It’s been a long time coming,” exclaims Coach Vitti. Coach Gajda adds, “this is an important and fun sport to bring to MHS as it gives our female students the opportunity to play football. We anticipate that there will be widespread interest as our club team already has so many enthusiastic members.”

Flag football was first played in St. Louis in the 1950s. More than a decade later, the first organized girls’ team was created in Maryland. For females, the sport has gained widespread popularity, quickly spreading throughout the Northeast. In the last five years, it is estimated that over 2,000 schools throughout the United States have formal female flag football programs. In 2023, women’s flag football was introduced at the International World Games. Even major players in the world of sports, including the National Football League and Nike, have recognized the enthusiasm surrounding this relatively new sport, partnering with high schools across the country to fund new programs.

Members of the current club team look forward to the potential implementation of the club as an official sport. Greta Norman (’27) reveals, “I’ve always watched my brother and dad play football. Hopefully, next year, it’ll finally be my turn to take the field.” Norman is excited to show the community that girls can play football, too, and be just as competitive as their male counterparts.

In launching this new sport, Mamaroneck High School hopes to create a program that promotes teamwork, friendship, community, hard work, and fun. “We want the team to be a family, both on and off of the field,” states Coach Barnard. With high hopes that the team will be an official MHS offering next spring, the coaches are excited to begin a lasting legacy of flag football at MHS. But without the team being official just yet, Coaches Vitti, Gjada, and Barnard can’t predict how a potential team will eventually perform. Nonetheless, Coach Vitti declares “I have no doubt that if we have a team, we’ll have enthusiastic students ready to participate and compete!”