Categories:

Manchester Baseball Field: To Renovate or Not to Renovate

Mamaroneck High School’s ‘Manchester Field,’ baseball field, at the center of campus.
PHOTO COURTESY MAMARONECK UNION FREE SCHOOL DISTRICT

The Mamaroneck High School (MHS) varsity baseball team, a consistent powerhouse in Section 1, is a force to be reckoned with. Under the guidance of Coach Michael Chiaparelli, Coach Donald Novak, Coach Ryan Preusse, and Coach Joe Glaser, the team has consistently produced skilled and tightly-knit rosters. The leadership and high-level coaching have propelled various Tigers teams to contend for section titles and regional championships, showcasing the success of the baseball program at Mamaroneck.

However, the team’s opponents not only face a competitive Mamaroneck team, but also the challenge of playing on a field in poor condition.

With MHS having such a diverse set of interests among the student body, specifically in sports, the baseball field is subject to various activities, including numerous track and field events. The large number of events taking place on the field is bound to slowly cause its condition to worsen. Negligent field maintenance, along with its high level of use, explain why the field is in its current shape.

The Fields For Kids organization has been instrumental in the development and improvement of fields across Larchmont-Mamaroneck. Their recent and soon-to-be projects, including the Hommocks Outdoor Play Space, the Alma field expansion at Flint, and the newly improved town center field, have and will continue to enhance the quality of both competitive and recreational sports in the community. Given their track record, it is natural to wonder why the renovation of the high school baseball field is not yet on their agenda.

MHS’s baseball field was most recently revamped about twenty years ago. Surrounding the field is a track used by all gym classes and the track team, and the outfield is used by JV Football in the fall. Renovating and improving the field would almost certainly require the track teams to be moved to another area, and the town doesn’t have another track for them to go to. This causes a dilemma when it comes to deciding whether or not it is even plausible to take on this reconstruction project. Mamaroneck athletes who play on the field daily have begun to express their concerns about the field’s condition.

When asked about the field’s impact on gameplay, varsity player Christian Velazco (’25) candidly shared, “Yes, the grass is non-existent in left field, which leads to inconsistent hops, and there are divots in right field that injure people.” Varsity captain JJ Grimes (’24) echoed these sentiments, saying, “It’s no secret that the field is not great relative to other fields in the section. Though some say it gives us a home field advantage because we’re used to it, there really isn’t any getting used to the bounces that the ball can take on that field.”

Although the surrounding track adds complications to the prospects of improving or renovating the baseball field at Mamaroneck High School, the baseball program under coach Chiaparelli remains a proud symbol for Mamaroneck Sports. Whether or not this project undergoes any progress in the near future, the continued advection and campaigning towards new and improved fields and recreational areas in the community highlights the prosperous future for sports in Mamaroneck at the high school and beyond.