Categories:

Wonder Brings Unique and Innovative Options to Mamaroneck’s Food Scene

A New Food Option for MHS Students and Mamaroneck and Larchmont Residents.
New Wonder establishment next to Stop & Shop
Luke Franzese

One of the many benefits of Mamaroneck High School is the open campus policy. It offers students the unique ability to access the wide selection of food establishments during lunch and free periods. The recent opening of Wonder further adds to MHS’s food options.

Wonder, which opened on July 18th, provides a “new kind of food hall experience.” Located just half a mile from MHS, Wonder ensures a “new kind of food hall experience” with 15 restaurant options all under one roof. The restaurant guarantees that there is something for everyone and hopes to enhance the food industry with tech innovation.

Unlike traditional food options in the area, Wonder’s food hall model allows students and residents to choose from a diverse range of cuisines in one convenient location,  which the company refers to as “fast fine dining.” In order to achieve this model, Wonder collaborates with popular restaurants and famous chefs such as Bobby Flay, Marcus Samuelsson and Marc Murphy to provide a curated menu of food in a convenient and affordable fashion. Wonder’s standout quality lies in its innovative food preparation method, which combines central production facilities with local hub kitchens to achieve a distinctive mix of efficiency and freshness. Whether you are craving BBQ, a burrito bowl, salad or even steak, Wonder provides a variety of choices that cater to different tastes and dietary preferences. This variety is particularly appealing to students who want more than the typical fast food fare, offering them an opportunity to explore new flavors and meal options during their lunch break.

As a Manhattan-based company founded in 2018 by entrepreneur and former president and CEO of Walmart U.S. ecommerce, Marc Lore, Wonder has an interesting backstory. Wonder was originally a meal delivery service utilizing “mobile kitchens” and a fleet of delivery trucks.

In early 2022, the company pivoted to providing a physical eat-in and pick-up location in addition to its delivery service. Wonder has since opened 15 locations in the tri-state area and is scheduled to open another 20 before this November. The Wonder Group—the parent company of Wonder—raised $700 million in funding during March of this year and is currently valued at $3.5 billion by the Wall Street Journal.

Wonder’s investments and additional funding come from many notable companies including Amex Ventures and Nestle, among many others. Wonder also acquired Blue Apron, the meal kit company, in November of last year. For the future, Lore said the company will aggressively invest in research and development in order to improve cook time speeds, enhance software, introduce new menu items, chefs, and develop new “iconic” restaurant partnerships.

Despite the restaurant’s new features, students who are short on time may struggle to frequent the restaurant, as it is a 10-minute walk from MHS.

Despite it being considerably farther than the other popular lunch eateries, such as Village Pizza and Deli or Chopt, the variety and quality of food at Wonder, along with the restaurant’s relaxing atmosphere, could make the extra effort worthwhile, especially when ordering ahead of time.    

Beyond the school day, Wonder’s emphasis on delivery makes it an attractive option for students outside of school hours.

Wonder’s delivery service brings the convenience of its diverse menu directly to students’ or residents’ homes with options for every member of the family, making it easy to enjoy a meal after a long day. For those involved in after-school activities and sports, Wonder offers a quick and satisfying meal option that can be delivered in under 30 minutes or picked up if pre ordered, saving time and effort.

As more students and residents of Larchmont and Mamaroneck discover Wonder, it is likely to become one of the destinations for those looking to mix up their lunchtime routine.

While it may not replace the convenience of closer options to the high school, Wonder’s unique offerings may make it a valuable addition to the list of places MHS students and local residents can choose from to enjoy a meal.