COVID Challenges Bring Positive Changes to MHS

A lot has changed, but many students think that not all of the changes have been bad.

Photo Courtesy of @MamaroneckPublicSchools on Facebook

Mamaroneck High School makes some positive changes during COVID crisis.

Ben Kulish

So far, the 2020-21 school year has been unlike any other year at MHS. Although everyone is anxious to get back to “normal” (whatever that may look like), the pandemic has pushed the school to try innovative approaches that may wind up improving students’ academic experience. In fact, there are some COVID-19 related changes that students might prefer MHS to continue in future years. 

The new weekly schedule has been popular with MHS students. Jack Master (‘23) thinks Focus Fridays are helpful and should be kept, “but maybe less often.” He likes being able to discuss important ideas with his classmates and thinks that it is helpful to have one designated day to meet with clubs. Master is not alone; other students also see the value in having just one club-meeting-day, as they felt it was easy to forget club meetings at lunch in the past. Andrew Sacks (‘21) expressed that he enjoyed another part of this new schedule: having all eight classes every day, with gym as a free period every other day. He commented that his favorite aspect of this schedule was that all of his classes are forty minutes-long now.

Advances in technology and layout changes in classrooms have also been well-liked among students. It can be helpful to have a smaller group of students in the classroom with the teacher. Liv Bobby (‘22) also thinks that keeping desks apart is a smart idea to prevent cheating. Sarah Fitzgerald (‘24) explained that Zoom recordings have been helpful when she had to miss class. This year overall, the school has been forward-thinking in its use of technology, introducing things like the MHS Club Hub and Zoom meetings with counselors. In the future, students could stop by virtual office hours if they can’t make it in person. The school has benefited from these technological changes and could continue to when MHS is back in school full time.

Laura Kearon, a guidance counselor, looked beyond just the high school, giving insight into how the pandemic has impacted college admissions. She commented that “each system has had no choice but to think deeply and evaluate how they operate, including American colleges and universities.” She explained that COVID-19 has forced colleges to look deeper into each student’s application, especially because many schools have gone test-optional. This allows for more equity in the college admissions process. Kearon hopes that this will continue after the pandemic dies down.

COVID-19 has presented enormous challenges for many members of the MHS community. However, it has prompted some changes that seem to be improvements. This pandemic has provided MHS, as well as schools around the country, to rethink aspects of school. Though most students may prefer “normal” school, there are definitely some positives to COVID-19 schooling.