Students Run the 55th Annual Turkey Trot with Community

The Larchmont-Mamaroneck community came together to run and raise money.

Photo Courtesy of Sam Berg

A crowd gathers ready to race in the 2021 Turkey Trot.

Sam Berg

On November 21, the 55th annual Mamaroneck Turkey Trot, a series of races that help raise money for various local charities, took place at Harbor Island Park. Adults and children alike raced in either the 1K Gobbler Race or the 5K Turkey Trot. While new participants join every year, some, such as Noel Dinome, who has participated every year since 1997, and Christopher Leisner, who has participated for seven years, have participated for years in this community tradition.
Dinome expresses how the event is a “fun community thing to do,” while Terrence Moriarty (‘23), says it allows him to “get out there with the community.” Others use the Turkey Trot to stay fit. For instance, it gives Leisner motivation to run with competition, and allows him to see how he improved. “My preparation definitely paid off. I was glad to finish in under half an hour.” said Leisner.
Runners for the Turkey Trot collect monetary pledges to “sponsor” their running. All proceeds then go to the runner’s given charity. Many MHS students ran for the Students for Senegal Club. With 100 members fundraising on Pledge It (a fundraising website), they managed to raise over $20,000, smashing their $15,000 goal. This year’s success was a record for the club’s Turkey Trot fundraising, which Elle Krywosa (‘22), one of the club’s international presidents, attributes to the club’s flourishing membership.
In addition to the Pledge It page, Students for Senegal also sold merchandise at the event to raise additional funds. They used these funds to help maintain the Lambaye Learning Center, for which they held the grand opening in 2020, and purchase additional resources for the center (such as technology, books, art supplies, materials for sewing, medical supplies, etc.) When asked why she thinks the Turkey Trot is a great way to fundraise, Krywosa said “it’s important to have events that aren’t tied directly to MHS so that we can expand our impact and reach people that we don’t usually come in contact with.” Students for Senegal has fundraised through the Turkey Trot for four years now, and according to Krywosa, “it’s always a really fun time.”