A Bright New Season Begins for Varsity Wrestling

The MHS Varsity Wrestling team kicks off the 2021-2022 season on the right foot.

Photo Courtesy of LOHUD

Two student wrestlers face off on the MHS turf during the MHS match against New Rochelle.

Emily Bennitt and Maddie Robinson

Following last year’s limited season, Mamaroneck High School’s wrestling team has hit the mats with renewed enthusiasm this winter. During the 2020-2021 season, COVID-19 restrictions were put in place in order to keep the athletes healthy. For example, throughout the entire season, masks were required. One of the most difficult restrictions was a no contact rule. This left the team doing only cardiovascular and technique-based workouts, no actual wrestling. It was not until the end of the season that minimal contact was allowed. This consisted of wrestlers participating in short wrestling matches against one another.
Fortunately, the team was lucky enough to compete in one match last year, against New Rochelle High School. This unique match took place on March 11, 2021, on the MHS turf. A large mat was placed outside for the team to wrestle on. Eric Nesser (‘22) says, “It was a very cool experience to wrestle outside since that was the first time for almost all of us.” In fact, this was the first outside wrestling match in Westchester high school history. The team was able to make the most of the 2020-2021 season, and are now eagerly beginning a more interactive season.
Wrestling is back to normal this year, despite the fact that masks are still required. Matches are taking place regularly again, as well as most tournaments. The schools that Mamaroneck has been scheduled to face this year are Rye, North Rockland, Suffern, New Rochelle, Mount Vernon, Scarsdale, and Edgemont. The first match took place on Saturday, December 4th, at Rye High School. The first match that Mamaroneck is hosting is on Tuesday, January 4th.
This year Mamaroneck will not be hosting the Tiger Tournament, due to fears of COVID-19 spreading. This is a tournament that the school usually hosts. While the team is not happy about this, they are grateful for the matches they are having.
In addition, the post season is set to take place. Coach Scott Gilberti believes that the team has the potential to do well in the sectional tournament. “We have a chance to go far into the sectional tournament and look forward to wrestling in Albany,” he explained.
Captains are yet to be chosen, but hopefully will be in two to three weeks. The team will look to the captains to ensure a strong and connected team. Follow along with the MHS wrestling team on instagram, @mhsvarisitysports, and on the “MAXPREPS” website to see how they do in this year’s season, and make sure to cheer them on!