Annual MHS Student Video Show Garners Enthusiastic Community Crowd

Zach Ivler for The Globe

MHS PACE Auditorium packed with excited students, parents, and community members on June 12th.

Hayley Ganis

The 2023 MHS Video Show garnered an enthusiastic crowd last Monday as dozens filed into the PACE auditorium to see a series of short films created by the video students at Mamaroneck High School. Over thirty students showcased their projects at the show, each film with a unique story behind its creation. Several types of films were showcased, from informative news stories and documentary shorts to impactful narrative movies and, of course, the collaborative Senior Class Film “Teen Spirit.” Regardless of the nature of the film, each project was met with a vigorous round of applause, led by the video students themselves, as they enthusiastically cheered for their peers’ projects. Mia Reisman (‘25), an audience member at the show, recounts the crowd as incredibly “animated” and “supportive” of the projects showcased, as many of the films impressed viewers with their meaningful themes and incredible detail.  

The details in these projects derive from the filming techniques learned inside and outside the classroom by video students of all grade levels. These skills, which include working with sounds and advanced cinematography, assist in producing an impactful film and aim to facilitate student growth and creative capabilities. Avery Mollin, a sophomore video student, recounts the value of experimenting with new video techniques in her film. Mollin shares how she had to “learn to work with actors and music to my advantage” to enrich the contents of her project, citing how these techniques could help her in future film endeavors because they “can be applied to all types of film.” Mollins’ film focuses on the anxiety that can plague students during lockdown drills, which means a lot to her because of the vulnerability shown on the screen and the amount of work she put into executing it . She hopes that, through creating a film central to her experiences, the “members of the audience will be able to see how much MHS video students care about the films they are creating.” Max Szuczman (‘25), a video student, shares a similar sentiment about his film portraying teenage nostalgia. “I am so happy to be able to share something I love with others,” he reports, sharing how “just having his film on-screen” makes him feel “accomplished and awarded.” 

Sarah Ettinger (‘23), director of the Senior Class Film “Teen Spirit,” has also shown remarkable dedication and regard for her work. Ettinger’s passion for film began in elementary school, where she participated in film camp and other related activities, which she found “extremely rewarding” and “just a total blast.” Over her past four years at Mamaroneck High School, she has had the opportunity to create dozens of films and learn helpful filming strategies with the mentorship of Ms. Elmo, the video teacher at Mamaroneck High School. Ettinger reports that “Teen Spirit” was one of her favorite projects she has worked on, as it has taught her several lessons about learning how to work with a large crew and “figuring out when to step back and let others do what they need to do.” She worked with many people she had not collaborated with before, which broadened Ettinger’s perspective and changed her approach to filming in a way that she is “very appreciative of.”

Similarly, Melina Silvestro, a collaborator on the film, comments on the value of figuring out how to “troubleshoot when problems arose” and working with other students to ensure they could finish “Teen Spirit” on time, considering the busy end of year schedules for seniors working on the project. Their hard work, along with the contributions of several other seniors, was met with immense anticipation and a packed crowd. Audience member and video student Avery Mollin reported being “super excited to watch the senior class film” because she knew “it’s something they have been working on for a while.” She was not alone; the audience loved the film, laughing at the right moments and cheering on the creators throughout. After the culmination of dozens of films over close to two hours, video students left “fulfilled and proud” of their work, and audience members, such as Mia Reisman, reported feeling “inspired” and “appreciative” of their experience. 

The MHS Video Show allows video students to express themselves through film and connect with others. Many look forward to continuing this tradition for next year’s show!

If you would like to watch the Senior Class Film Teen Spirit, click here!