Farewell to Globe 2022-2023 Editors-in-Chief

Photo Courtesy of The Mahiscan

2022-2023 Editors-in-Chief Ben Kulish (left), Griffin McIntyre (middle), and Nadia Suben (right).

Ben Kulish started writing for The Globe during his sophomore year, which prompted him to apply for a position on staff for his junior year – Features page director. Kulish then served as The Globe’s Layout Editor-in-Chief his senior year and was able to leave an impactful mark on the paper through his extensive work in formatting and organizing the layout of every globe issue this school year. Kulish explains how the work he did on the Globe allowed him to understand the value of diversity in opinion. Through his time spent on the paper he was able to see the significance of opposing viewpoints, and the importance of holding tolerance towards hearing out other people’s views. 

During his time on the Globe, Kulish highlights that he is most proud of the editorial and opinion articles that were put out this school year. He emphasizes that he feels as though this year the Globe was able to take risks that it hasn’t taken in the past to make sure that they were really capturing the voice of the student body. However along with these risks and successes came many challenges. Kulish explains that being in a leadership role as EIC was the most challenging yet rewarding experience as a staff member. He expresses that in such a large leadership position, one not only must pick up the skills that come along with the position but also earn the respect of those around him. Kulish notes that “It’s not easy to get a group of people to respect you enough to write what and when you ask them to write, edit when you leave comments, and lay out complicated pages, especially when there’s no academic reward attached.” It is undeniable that even through these challenges, Kulish along with the other Editors-in-Chief (EICs) were able to prevail by putting forth remarkable issues this school year. 

Kulish’s favorite memory on the Globe was putting together the 2022 Graduation issue with his fellow EICs and Globe staff members. Kulish explains that he and his fellow EICs were excited to start work and prepare for the issue. He recalls,“We spent hours in the Globe room figuring things out, but we all really enjoyed that time.” Kulish along with his fellow EICs worked tirelessly to ensure that every issue of the Globe was at its highest quality, and was a true and informative representation of a student led newspaper. 

In the fall, Kulish will be attending Northwestern University and will be majoring in political science. Kulish encourages future globe staff members to get as involved in the paper as possible, even early in their high school careers. He recalls how initially, in his freshman and sophomore years, he would get to Globe meetings and feel intimidated by all the new faces. However as he began to push himself to go, he found himself getting more and more involved. Kulish advises future Globe members to go after what they want, and greatly emphasizes how “it’s important to get your ideas out there.” 

Griffin McIntyre did not join The Globe as an eager journalist, but rather as a Sophomore who loved to write. An extracurricular opportunity that allowed for the combination of a love of music and writing, he applied for the staff of The Globe as a Junior in the Arts and Leisure section, writing articles “In Defense of ‘Solar Power’ by Lorde” or introducing students to the local business “Underground Vinyl.” It wasn’t long before articles about the newest music turned into a strong interest in journalism and involvement in what McIntyre calls Mamaroneck High School’s “journalism culture,” serving as Executive Director of Music and Website for Mamaroneck Public Radio and Editorial Editor-in-Chief of The Globe.

In line with this, McIntyre’s involvement with the Globe was culture centric. He recalls formatting meetings that he attended and eventually led as his favorite memories from his time as a Globe staff member. The small group nature of formatting, where students would collaborate and edit issues, readying them to send to print, is where he truly got to know different staff members, what McIntyre identified as the most enjoyable part of being a Globe Editor-in-Chief.

McIntyre didn’t just get to know other staff members, but stepped into the center of the MHS community through the Globe. Pursuing engaging stories led him to teachers, administrators and students that helped him, in his words, “explore new parts of MHS that I would have never gotten to know or experience.” McIntyre, a student in Original Civic Research and Action, was also exposed to community leaders starting from his first article. He recalls his fascination with Roseanne and Alyssa Amolis, a mother daughter duo he featured in the Globe who sewed masks and donated the proceeds to local nonprofits. As the President of Spiral Giving, McIntyre follows this same spirit, selecting local nonprofits to provide grants for their work in the community.

In the fall, McIntyre will attend Cornell University, taking what he has learned from The Globe with him as he pursues a major in Public Policy. While he hopes to continue to pursue journalism through writing for the Cornell Daily Sun, he is most excited to take his spirit of community involvement that has made him such a special part of the Mamaroneck High School community and give back to the community of Ithaca, which he will call home for the next four years.

The Globe sincerely thanks McIntyre for creating a welcoming staff community and showing us the value of learning and engaging with the community we all share. We cannot wait to see what the future holds for Griffin McIntyre!

Nadia Suben had always known she wanted to join the Globe, owing to her long-held passion for writing and journalism. She began her Globe journey at the end of her freshman year, first as an opinion page director. She served as editorial director, before assuming the position of editor-in-chief for her final year on staff. During her three years on staff, Suben has been impacted by the many opportunities offered to her, many of which would not be available otherwise. Additionally, she has appreciated how much her participation with the Globe has allowed her to connect with the school community, as well as the leadership and team-building skills she has acquired.

Beyond the Globe, Suben has been incredibly involved with some of the other clubs and organizations at our school. Highly devoted to the music department, she has played trumpet in the concert band, jazz band, orchestra, and pit orchestra, and directed the pep band the past two football seasons. She has used her musical talents in other avenues as well, taking on the president role of Tri-M music honor society and playing in various musical groups outside of school including all-state and area all-state bands.

The political world has also long attracted Suben, culminating in her roles as president of Model Congress and the Young Republicans club at Mamaroneck High School. Specifically interested in environmental issues, Suben is the founder and president of American Conservation Coalition’s New York City chapter and is a professional op-ed contributor for C3 Solutions Magazine.

Next year, Suben will attend Indiana University, combining her interests in music, politics, and journalism for a Bachelor of Science in Music and an Outside Field. This unique program will allow her to study politics and philosophy as well as jazz studies at the prestigious Jacobs School of Music. At IU, Suben will be a member of the Hutton Honors College, and is excited to get involved with Jewish life, musical ensembles, political organizations, and to continue her work with journalism in the newspaper. Beyond college, Suben hopes to work in law or journalism while also pursuing music on a professional level. 

Grateful for her MHS experience, Suben feels “beyond fortunate to have had a number of extraordinary teachers who have been so invested in their students, not only in their academic success but their future ambitions and who they are as people.” Suben thanks all of those at school and The Globe for helping shape who she is today. We can’t wait to see what the future holds for Nadia!