MHS Creates Programs to Better Students’ Mental Health

Photo Courtesy of Facebook on "Taking Care of Your Emotional Health"

Student focusing on taking care of themselves mentally

Sascha Melamed, H&W Assistant Page Director

With big changes happening to school this year, everyone’s a little shaken up. From online classes to new safety procedures, students and teachers have many different things to worry about. While much of the focus this school year has been on the academic implications of this new school plan, what about its impact on student mental health? 

People all throughout the building have been experiencing anxiety about the school year. One student, who requested to be quoted anonymously, says “It’s the uncertainty of everything that makes me nervous. I have no idea what the next day, week or month could look like.” The idea of uncertainty can be seen everywhere in our lives since the abrupt end of the 2019-2020 in-person school year last March. Nobody knows what to expect, making everyone feel a little on edge. While the school administration has put great amounts of effort in coming up with a detailed plan, it’s understood throughout the building that anything can change and that the plans need to be flexible. 

Along with an entirely new class schedule, the administration has built in time every other week for student mental health. The new “Advisory” classes are aimed to create a safe space to share thoughts, feelings and emotions on everything that’s been going on. These classes will meet either online or in small groups to provide students with an outlet for whatever is on their mind. While it’s comforting to see this time specifically allotted for student mental health, what do the students actually think of it?

One Senior, Fiona Fitzpatrick (‘21), thinks the class is a great addition. She says, “It’s really great to have a group of your peers and a teacher to help us navigate our schools new regulations.” She thinks it is especially great for those newer to the school. She explains how, “it’s beneficial for underclassmen who may be less confident with what’s expected of them as we return to school.” Hopefully, advisory can act as a useful resource to reduce student stress. 

Even though school this year might be overwhelming, it’s important to remember that everyone is experiencing this new change. Making time to prioritize your own mental health is always crucial but is especially important this year. If you feel stressed don’t be afraid to reach out to a classmate, family member, faculty member or to utilize your advisory groups. Although it may feel like it at times, you are not alone in feeling nervous about all these changes.