Farewell to 2019-2020 Globe Editors-in-Chief

Kendall Psaila applied for the Globe at the end of her freshman year because of her absolute love for writing. She became an Op-Ed Assistant Page Editor for the duration of her sophomore year, continued to be the first ever Spotlight Page Editor her junior year, and has just finished her year as a Globe Editor-In-Chief. Psaila has definitely enjoyed her time on the Globe and considers it “one of, if not the, most rewarding experiences of [her] high school career.” She has learned a lot about writing an article, formatting, and interviewing – skills she will use for years to come. She loved many things about being Editor-in-Chief, but some of her favorite experiences were getting the opportunities to teach new skills to younger staff members, seeing the process she and the other Editors-in-Chief created in action, working with some of her favorite teachers in a different capacity as advisors, and handing out the paper to her peers and seeing how much people enjoyed it.

Throughout her time at MHS, Psaila has participated in many other activities outside of the Globe as well. She played two years of Varsity soccer, was a member of Model Congress and the Squash Club, of which she was president both Junior and Senior year, and founded and became President of the MHS chapter of Room to Read her freshman year. She took journalism her senior year, acting as a producer for MPR (Mamaroneck Public Radio), and OSR (Original Science Research), spending her summers researching neurology to work on her project. She is attending Barnard College of Columbia University in the fall and plans to major in political science and possibly add a history minor. Although she does not plan to pursue journalism as a career, she wants to find a way to continue to explore her passion for writing as an extracurricular, possibly by joining the staff of the Columbia Spectator or a magazine at Barnard.

As Psaila concludes her time on the Globe, she expresses hopes that the paper will continue to produce quality content and to expand. But, most importantly she says, is that the Globe staff continues to have fun, enjoys writing, and pursues topics that the school will enjoy.

At the end of eighth grade, Natalie Manley applied to be on the yearbook staff as a freshman. Carol Scheffler, who could immediately tell that she had a strong talent for writing, suggested that instead, Manley join the Globe. Since then, Manely has served as a writer, the Assistant Arts & Leisure Page Director, the Formatting Managing Editor, and one of the Editor-in-Chief of the Globe. Manley looks fondly back upon her time on the Globe, stating that she really enjoyed how even though it is a school  newspaper, the Globe functions somewhat like a professional newspaper.

One of her favorite memories from her time on staff is when Mr. Madin, one of the Globe’s advisors, called her to tell her that the wrong issue was sent to the printers, and told her that Manley must come back to the school and fix it. Manley, who was at a doctor’s appointment, immediately left her appointment, rushed back to school, and ended up sending the correct issue to the printers. “It goes to show how the Globe runs like a newspaper but is still a learning experience,” stated Manley.

Outside of the Globe, Manley was heavily involved in MHS’s PACE program, while also being part of MHS’s concert band, jazz band, chamber orchestra, and pit orchestra. Manley also served as president of the Chinese Club and captain of the sailing team. As a senior, Manley took journalism, and she hopes to use the skills she learned in journalism in the fall, when she will be attending the University of Chicago. Manley plans to major in public policy, while also writing for UChicago’s newspaper, The Maroon, and hopefully participate in some journalism pre-professional tracks as well.

Manley’s proudest accomplishment while being on the Globe was “changing the way the Globe looks and increasing the writing quality, distinguishing it from other school newspapers,” while at the same time, “preparing and training great writers.”

Noah Freedman knew he wanted to be a part of the Globe since the first time he stepped through Mamaroneck’s glass doors. He joined the staff sophomore year as an Assistant Sports Editor, later becoming the Sports Managing Editor in his Junior year and has now concluded his senior year as Editor-In-Chief. He’s not sure why he gravitated towards the paper originally, but he says he has “always liked to tell stories and write about sports,” so he thought the paper fit him well.

Freedman is extremely proud of the time he has dedicated to the Globe over the past four years and has had many memorable moments throughout his time on staff. In particular, he looks fondly upon his first time attending the Columbia Scholastic Press Association Journalism Conference his sophomore year. At the conference, he “became much better friends with other people on staff and was introduced to the ins and outs of journalism.” He says that “being a student-journalist has been such a big part of [his] life” and that he hopes to continue writing “in some capacity” beyond MHS.

Over the past four years, Freedman was also heavily involved with the music program and was captain of the school’s drumline, The Force. He was also president of the Chinese Club and a member of the Varsity baseball team. In the fall, Freedman will be attending the University of Texas at Austin where he will be studying Business and likely joining their jazz band and combos. He will also be a part of the NavalROTC Battalion where he will be “training to one day become a Surface Warfare Officer on a U.S. navy destroyer or aircraft carrier.”