Things to do During a Socially Distanced Summer

Rebecca Herzberg, Formatting Managing Editor

With many camps now cancelled for the summer, many students have found themselves stuck at home for the upcoming months. Luckily, there are still plenty of healthy and fun activities you can do to keep you entertained.

If you would like to take a walk or jog away from the streets of town or around your neighborhood, there are quite a few nearby nature preserves.

Leatherstocking Trail: This trail stretches across New Rochelle through the Village of Mamaroneck. Despite a few street crossings along it, it is peaceful and quiet during the day.

Saxon Woods Park: Another hiking or running trail is Saxon Woods in White Plains on Mamaroneck Avenue.

Rye Marshland Conservancy: Located on Boston Post Road, this nearby nature preserve provides great views of the water and paths to explore.

Edith G. Read Natural Park and Wildlife Sanctuary: This park is directly off of Rye Playland Amusement Park along the water. It is close to the Playland boardwalk and beach.

Rockefeller State Preserve: This vast park can be found in Tarrytown, NY, about a half an hour car ride from MHS. It’s expansive 1400 acres provide endless trails to explore.

In addition to these areas, there are many activities you can also try to fill your time.

Watch something with friends over Zoom or Netflix Party: Despite the need for social distancing, watching something together can still create a sense of closeness.

Bike Ride: Biking allows you to cover more ground and reach farther destinations while still getting exercise. On select Sundays in the spring and fall, the Bronx River Parkway is closed to traffic and open to cyclists from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Picnic: As the weather gets warmer, now is the perfect time to grab a blanket and have lunch or a snack outside. This can be done anywhere from your lawn to a park.

Closet Cleanout: While this may not seem fun at first, finding clothes to donate and sell could be an effective use of your time. Organization can often be quite rewarding.

It is okay to feel a bit confined over the summer, but try your best to fill your time with something you enjoy. There are still so many places to visit and things to try!